Every Fancy dress shop we contacted had a scary clown costume available to sell or hire.
One shop who did not want to be named, said "It is very worrying what is going on and feels it will affect the hiring of that costume and will not get anymore in at this time"
"I will be not be selling to teenagers or those who have not got a proper party function."
Another Party Shop has three or four different designs of clown masks which include the scary kind, but says she has sold a couple but not seen any increase although believes they will get busy as it gets nearer to halloween night at the end of the month.
But it is possible that those out to pull the prank could be using eBay as it has more choice and usually cheaper.
Some of the incidents reported to police to date, include:
• On Thursday, October 6 at around 9.51pm, a man dressed as a clown was approaching shoppers leaving Tesco in Jarman Park, Hemel Hempstead.
• On Friday, October 7 at 8.32pm, a woman reported that she was being chased by clowns in London Road, Sawbridgeworth. Officers attended immediately and there was no trace of the woman or the clowns.
• On Friday at 9.24pm it was reported that there was a man dressed as a clown in Poles Lane, Ware. Officers attended and no clown was located.
• On Friday at 11.02pm it was reported that the caller had been told there was a clown in Six Hills Way, Stevenage, at around 6pm that day.
• On Friday at 11.06pm it was reported that a teenager had been involved in a verbal altercation with a man in a clown mask in Burns Road, Royston.
• On Tuesday at 8.20 am a girl walking through an Alleyway by Roe Hill which comes out on to Woods Avenue heard a noise behind her and turned around to see a man wearing a clown mask.
• On Tuesday shortly before 7 am a boy was walking through St Nicholas’ Fields in Stevenage where he saw two people dressed as clowns scaring people.
Thanks for stopping by. We welcome your comments.